Monday, March 18, 2013

Some Animals...

We really have been reading over the last couple of weeks.  Things have been so busy and crazy that I haven't had a moment to post what we have read.  One of the favorites during this last week was the board book, "Mouse Paint" by Ellen Stoll Walsh.  The board book is a much simpler version of the original story and focuses on colors, without overwhelming young children with a plot to follow.  This book is so much fun and is a great way to explore the primary colors and how they can make other colors.  My son especially liked the part where the mice "...swirl and mix, and mix and swirl..." the paint.  As we read this part we tried to move along as if we were also mixing paint.  This book is definitely in the category of: colors and animals.


The other more popular choice this last week was "Old Bear" by Kevin Henkes.  This was a wonderful way to introduce the concept of seasons to children.  The bear had slept and dreamt that he was going through each of the seasons.  By the time the bear really woke up, it was only the spring after his long winter hibernation.  I think this book was also a great way to help children understand that different animals have different lifestyles, where some hibernate during the winter and others may not.  The illustrations in this book were very colorful, but were still simple enough to see the main idea of the picture.  This book is in the following categories: animals, seasons.


There were other books from the library that we had during the last couple of weeks, but I have to admit that they were really not winners on my list.  I would post about them, except that I have already turned them in and they didn't make that big of an impression on me. 
Hopefully this next week I will be more on top of this posting business.  We now have LOTS of books from my son's first birthday that we need to read and add to our list of Children's Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment